Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Story in Process: Obedience School


I'm working on a story for City Revealed this week that's been a lot of fun. The magazine apparently does stories about pets and gardens each spring. I said I would do a story on obedience school--why dog owners might consider enrolling in an obedience class with their dog.

After educating myself a bit with some online sources (which I'll share in another post) I quickly found some sources by using my trusty phone book. One obedience training place, Pawsitively Paws was on E Avenue, close to Coe, and very near where I used to live. I wrote up some questions, and called them late in the day. The person I talked to was enthusiastic and eager to talk with me and share her knowledge.

The "Pawsitively" in their title refers to the way they train, only through positive reinforcement. They don't use prong collars, choke collars, hitting, etc. They use voice, treats, and lots of repetition.

"We're not in this for the money." Two of the trainers I talked to told me this. All of the trainers are working without pay now. "We do this because we love dogs and we want to help people with their dogs," said Connie, the trainer in the photo above. That's not going to be in my story, but it's interesting.

BTW, my son took photos for me. He's doing a photog internship with me. I told him I'd pay him $5 for every photo he took that was used. That gets me off the photog hook!

No comments:

Post a Comment