Friday, April 10, 2009

Shiner


It's true: Jane has a shiner.

I wish I could say that this journalist got the black eye when reporting on crime in the Moundview neighborhood, but I can't.

It occurred during an unfortunate incident with a bungee cord. Let me just say that those things can snap back very quickly.

Being a writer, I used this, um, opportunity to do some research.

One website, "How to get rid of things" had this to say:

Black eyes are caused by bruising of the eyelid and the surrounding tissues. When trauma to the eye or the surrounding tissue occurs, small blood vessels near the surface of the skin called capillaries burst, releasing blood into the dermal layers (skin) where it doesn’t normally go. The blood then clots and remains where it is until your body can deploy certain functions of your immune system to clean up the mess. The blackness of a black eye (or any bruise for that matter) is the appearance of clotting or dead blood cells that have escaped your capillaries. A black eye is rarely considered a serious injury.
Ew.

According to WebMd, my black eye probably won't need medical intervention, and will heal in 1-2 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Don't be sad. Shiners make you look tough. Maybe if you do walk through the Moundview area, people will look at you with some respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anytime I see a person with a black eye, I am reminded of the sixth Harry Potter when Hagrid has a dragon steak over his eye. I recently found out it's just the coldness of the steak that slows down blood flow and reduces swelling- so a bag of frozen peas works just as well!

    ReplyDelete